Monday 21 May 2012

Ceramics head making

Christy Keeney distinguished ceramic sculptor visited and gave a workshop to us on head making.
Below is an example of his figurative head works.





After Christie Keeney ceramic sculptor visited and did a workshop with us we began constructing heads. As part of my narrative project I was focusing on the word myths and zooming in on Greek mythology. As a result I modelled my head in a typical grecian style adding smooth long hair and toga dress similar to that of aphrodite the greek goddess of love. To start I coiled the shoulders, smoothed them and allowed them to stiffen. I then added the head itself with a large slab. I began constructing facial details and added further slabs for the hair and dress slowly modelling the head into the shape i desired. When the piece had dried I sanded it to move any rough edges. The piece was then fired and completed.





No comments:

Post a Comment