Monday 21 May 2012

Ceramic lo-fi construction.

Upon completing the cardboard pieces I set about recreating them in clay form. I decided to use flat slabs and as a result made good use of the slab roller. In keeping with the now emerging african look my work has undertaken I experimented with red clay and white slips and white clay and red slips for decoration. I constructed each animal using flat slabs of clay while creating bits to stick on later. The clay pieces were then decorated with red and white clay slips before being fired in the kilin.





After completing the pieces and retrieving them from the killin I noticed they seemed pretty flat and lifeless looking and decided to add splashes of colour as id already seen in a book on african tribal face painting. The earthy colours bring the pieces to life. I also decided to add tribal markings and designs to them.



These splashes of colour as seen above brought the pieces new life. They were then fired and when completed the aditional pieces were attatched via gluegun.

















No comments:

Post a Comment