Friday 23 December 2011

3d mechanisms

Upon completing my 2d studies of the mechanism I decided to set about creating a sculpture with the main aspects of it. I decided to make it large scale and to have the pendulum as the main focal point of the piece making it quite large in comparison to the gears. To make the gears I cut a jagged pattern into over 80 cds.
I got the technicians downstairs to make a large wooden frame for me which I then painted with black gloss to give it a metalic feel and quality. To create the pendulum I used the excersise ball from my previous instilation and painted it with gold metal paint. I then suspended it with a rope in the centre of the frame. As i waited for it to dry I got four sticks of bamboo and painted it with the same paint as the frame. I then put roughly 20 cds on each stick. When the piece was dry I stuck the bamboo poles on with glue. Drilling a hole through the frame to stick them would not have worked as I would have been unable to get the cds on.















No comments:

Post a Comment